24 Aug 2012

WE by Whitney Port


Nimoca was lucky enough to meet and listen to the amazing Whitney Port on Thursday night at Sportsgirl in Bourke Street, Melbourne. Whitney was in town launching her new line WE by Whitney Eve, which the Australian chain Sportsgirl will be selling!

When we discovered we would have the opportunity to meet Whitney, we started freaking out and flailing around  were completely calm and collected, but reeeeally excited. After waiting for what seemed like an eternity, loitering around the store, Whitney arrived looking as stylish as ever in the most incredible one teaspoon jeans and a red sheer shirt from her WE by Whitney Eve collection. The beautiful Zoe Foster  interviewed Whitney about her brand new collection and design inspirations.

The WE collection is a feminine and summery mix of sheer ombre skirts, ruffled jumpsuits, versatile shirts and the cutest floral shorts (which Caitlin was able take home!). Lots of red, white and yellow reminding us that summer is not so far away...

Because we love you all so much we have a small transcript of Whitney's interview 
(You won't see this anywhere else!)

What inspired your 'WE by Whitney Eve Collection'? 
"This season was just about being comfortable, it was about bringing the femininity out and just being really wearable and having pieces you can mix and match in your own wardrobe"

What was the starting point for your collection, your inspiration?

"A lot of what my job is about is travelling, so I tend to find when I travel I [see] such amazing street style, when I come to Sydney and see all you guys [and the] creative ways you are having fun with fashion, it makes me think about how to incorporate that into my collection. It can [also] be nature influences in my prints or obviously things I read in magazines or [see] on pintrest"

Do you design for yourself or do you design for others?

"I think it's both. Being a designer you think about what you are going to wear next season, so I think everything that you see in this line you'll say 'oh that's so Whitney' and I think thats the cool thing about it. If you guys appreciate my style aesthetic, [then] I hope you will love the line"

When did you learn what your style was?

"I think that my style is constantly evolving and changing on a day to day basis. When I moved to New York is when I felt a little more sophisticated and I knew how to pull off certain things. There are certain days where at the end of the day I'll [think] 'how could I have even chosen this, this morning!' let alone looking at outfits I wore like a year ago.

Who are your style inspirations?

"People like Alexa Chung. Red carpet wise, Diane Kruger has amazing style. A lot of street style in general... I find inspiration in real everyday girls"

What do you think of Australian style? Is there a word or a few words that come to mind when you think of our style?

"I think it's a mix of be beachy and edgy. I've been lucky enough to be able to come here and also Sydney. I notice [Melbourne] is a little bit edgier and grittier, which I really like. I also think you are not afraid of colour, pattern and texture. You take a lot more chances than the girls in the states do, which I really appreciate"

Who are your favourite Australian designers? (Nicolette asked this one, and her voice cracked like a pre-pubescent boy because she was so nervous)

"I love one teaspoon... they're getting really big in the states and that's great for them, I love Ksubi and Karen Walker. In general I love designers like Alexander Wang... Phillip Lim and Rebecca Taylor."

We were internally freaking out when she replied that she loves One Teaspoon, ksubi and Karen Walker because they are some of our favourite Australian designers/labels, and, well, we share something in common with Whitney Port.


If you would love to read more about Whitney Port take a look at her Blog or if you would like to get your hands on her brand new 'WE by Whitney Eve' line just head over to Sportsgirl.

xx